So many of us are in need of comfort right now which is why we picked twice baked potatoes, a classic “comfort food,” for our April Recipe of the Month. This lightened-up version is something that can be prepared in a variety of ways, depending on your taste and what food you have in the house. Select one of the options below.
This recipe is a great dinner option on any phase of the diet. Whether you are struggling with antidepressant-related weight gain, emotional overeating or just a whole lot of stress, we hope this recipe offers you a sense of calm during a challenging time.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut baked or microwaved white or sweet potato in half lengthwise. Leaving the skin intact, scoop out the inside, place the pulp in a bowl, and add desired toppings (choose from the list below).
Mash together and put potato mixture back into skin. Place filled potato halves on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until hot. Serve and enjoy!
Tasty Potato Toppings
- Veggies (whatever you have) sauteed with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fat free or low fat sour cream, 1 Tablespoon of low fat chopped ham, 3 or 4 slices of jalepeño pepper, and 1 Teaspoon of chopped basil
- 2 Tablespoons fat-free or low-fat sour cream or low-fat ricotta cheese per serving with snipped fresh chives
- Green or red salsa with sliced jalapenos
- Chopped jarred roasted red peppers with 1 teaspoon sauteed chopped garlic
- Mushrooms sauteed with olive-oil cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon low-fat shredded cheese
- 1 Tablespoon light scallion cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon pesto
- 1 Tablespoon horseradish cream
- 1/4 Cup of Vegetarian chili
- 1/4 Cup of drained marinated artichoke hearts with 1 teaspoon of capers and 1/2 Tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of Everything But The Bagel seasoning